John Fox, Certified Poetry Therapist, is a poet and author of Finding What You Didn't Lose: Expressing Your Truth and Creativity through Poem-Making and Poetic Medicine: The Healing Art of Poem-Making. His essays and poems are featured in the following book titles:
John also produced, in 1989, When Jewels Sing, a tape of his poems, read by him.
- The Healer, Dancing With the Healing Spirit
- The Spirit of Writing
- The Soul of Creativity
- Teaching With Fire
- The Healing Environment
- Supportive Cancer Care
- Writing the Sacred: A Psalm Inspired Path
- The Whole Person and the Human Face of Healthcare (forthcoming)
- Writing Away Your Demons (forthcoming)
He teaches regularly at the collegiate and post graduate level as an adjunct faculty member of the California Institute of Integral Studies, John F. Kennedy University, Institute of Transpersonal Psychology, the University of California, Santa Cruz and Holy Names University.
His work reaches people in hospitals, churches and retreat centers. Throughout his career, John has returned to working with children. He has presented in all regions of the United States, as well as the United Kingdom, Ireland, Israel, South Korea, Kuwait and Canada. In addition, his work influences people and poetry therapy practitioners in the Philippines, Greece, Lithuania, Iceland, Peru, Sicily, France and Japan. He conducts ongoing poetry groups in the San Francisco Bay Area and leads an annual retreat, The Nature of Poetry, on sacred Navajo land in Canyon de Chelly, Arizona.
John is an international leader in the movement of poetry therapy as an expressive art and medicine. He served as president of National Association of Poetry Therapy in 2003- 2005. He received The National Association for Poetry Therapy's Distinguished Service Award in 1995 and since that time, he has served as a mentor/supervisor in the field of poetry therapy.
He attended Boston University and received his B.A. from Bard College in New York in 1977. It was during this time he met Ram Dass, a longtime spiritual friend and strong influence on his work.
He trained with poetry therapy pioneer, Joy Shieman at El Camino Hospital in Mountain View, California from 1985 to 1988.
(Click on Joy's name to learn more about John's training with her from an Kota Press Journal interview) John lives in the San Francisco Bay Area of California.
John has been leading writing workshops and retreats for the public for twenty-four years. He has presented at Harvard Medical School, Stanford Medical School, Omega Institute, Esalen, as well as many Wellness Communities across the country.
People in therapeutic, healing, medical, teaching and pastoral professions benefit deeply and find practical support as they reconnect to the inner impulse that drew them to their professional calling while discovering inner resources that will sustain them in their daily lives.
John's work has especially touched people living with life altering illnesses. His workshops will be inspiring and uplifting for anyone with a desire to express their deeper truth and creativity.
John has presented at the following locations, a partial list, in addition to those places listed above:
Hospitals and Medical Schools
- University of Florida Medical School/Shands Hospital, Gainesville, FL
- Royal Free Hospital, University College London, England
- Center at Barts and the London School of Medicine, London, England
- Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, FL
- Alta Bates Hospital, Berkeley, CA
Churches, Meditation and Wellness Centers
Retreats, Foundations, Centers and Institutes
- Church of the Saviour (Methodist), Cleveland, OH
- Transfiguration Episcopal Church, Belmont, CA
- Shambhala Meditation Center, Atlanta, GA
- Lourdes Wellness Center, Collingswood, NJ
- The Wellness Community, a thriving cancer support community with numerous locations across the United States
- CancerLifeline, Seattle, WA
- Naropa University, Boulder, CO
- The Mandala Center, Des Moines, NM
- Canadian Centre for Peace, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- The Crossings, Austin, TX
- Survivor's Poetry Scotland, Glasgow, Scotland
- Irish Mind Medicine Academy, Dublin, Ireland
- Rogesh, A Center for Expressive Therapy, Kfar Saba, Israel
- Medical Foundation for Victims of Torture, London, England
- Common Boundary National Conference, Washington, D.C.
- National Wellness Institute Community College Conference, Denver, CO
- Ohio Council of English Teachers Conference, Cleveland, OH
- The Seoul International Symposium for Poetry Therapy, Seoul, South Korea